In an era when fewer and fewer civil cases go to trial, Skip Finkbohner has consistently won major court battles over a significant period of time and across a wide range of different types of cases, including wrongful death, product liability, complex commercial litigation, fraud, industrial accidents, environmental, medical malpractice, and others. Skip and his team examine the smallest of details and take the time to explain to juries the complex scientific, engineering and medical issues that are often the key factors in winning cases.
After graduating from college at Duke University (magna cum laude), and then from Duke Law School, the Mobile Alabama native achieved early success in the courtroom. This inspired him to fight for those who he felt were wronged, knowing that with enough preparation, and by adhering to ethical values, he could help improve the lives of others by fighting for them rather than taking unfair settlements.
Skip has represented plaintiffs in many cases that resulted in record-breaking jury verdicts, including the two of the three largest jury verdicts in Alabama since 2003. These include his representation of the following:
- Dr. Peter Mannsfeld, a scientist, against Ineos Phenol GmbH & CO., KG, which resulted in a $192 million verdict. This was the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County, and the largest ever achieved in Alabama for an intellectual property/trade secrets case.
- The family of Sharron Juno against Thomas Hospital and Precise Solutions in a medical malpractice/wrongful death case in Baldwin County, which is generally considered one of the most conservative venues in Alabama. The trial of this case resulted in a $140 million verdict, which was the largest ever achieved in Baldwin County, and the largest ever achieved in a medical malpractice trial in Alabama. Skip was featured on Great Trials Podcast discussing the facts of this verdict in November, 2019.
- The parents of Tiffany Stabler in a product liability case against Kia for a defective seatbelt that resulted in their daughter’s death during a single vehicle accident. The trial of this case resulted in a $40 million verdict, the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County for a case involving a single death.
- The family of Annie Barnes for consumer fraud against American General Life and Accident arising from the sale and servicing of a life insurance policy. The trial of this case resulted in a $35 million verdict, which is the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County for fraud perpetrated on a single consumer.
- The family of Ben Brackett in an industrial accident, electrical contact wrongful death case against Alabama Power Company. The trial of this case resulted in a $20 million verdict.
These and other verdicts were recognized by The National Law Journal and Verdict Search as ranking in the top 100 jury verdicts in the United States in the years these cases were tried. More information about these and many other cases Skip has handled can be found by clicking here: “Significant Verdicts.”
Skip applies years of experience and invests the time necessary to understand the details of every case. Working tirelessly to ensure the best possible outcome for his clients, he has traveled to India, the Ukraine, Europe, and throughout the United States to subpoena and obtain testimony from witnesses. He even ordered a team of engineers to tear apart a marine engine the size of a tractor trailer rig to identify a single missing bolt that had caused a large explosion and ship fire.
Skip and his wife Sandra live in Theodore, and have been married more than 30 years. They have three grown daughters, Baxter, Rachel and Hannah Marie.
Skip and some of his courtroom work has been featured in several publications:
- Top Dollar Takedowns: Biggest Jury Awards in the Last Five Years, Business Alabama Magazine
- Top Dollar Jury Awards, Business Alabama Magazine
- Access Magazine Article
RECOGNITION & AWARDSTop 100 jury verdicts in America as compiled and published by the National Law Journal and VerdictSearch:
- Jury verdict in 2003 for $20 million for wrongful death in an industrial accident--#92 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2007 for $50 million in product liability wrongful death trial--#32 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2008 for $192 million in commercial litigation/intellectual property trial--#14 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2011 for $40 million in product liability/crashworthiness trial--#50 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2012 for $140 million in medical malpractice/wrongful death trial--#20 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Settlement in 2014 for $46 million on the eve of trial in product liability case--#2 largest settlement in the United States. (more info link)
- Business Alabama Magazine: “Top Dollar Takedowns: Biggest Jury Awards in the Last Five Years” (more info link)
Skip has been certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1996.
He is one of only 20 attorneys in the United States recognized as National Personal Injury “Litigation Stars” by Benchmark Plaintiff in 2012 and 2013.
In recognition of Skip’s courtroom achievements and of his integrity, he has been invited into the most prominent and highly regarded professional societies.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
OTHER RECOGNITIONS INCLUDE:
- Consistently listed in Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top plaintiff attorneys in Alabama / Mid-South Region (2009-Present)
- Listed annually in Best Lawyers in America® since 2006 for Personal Injury Litigation; and since 2010 for Product Liability Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions, and Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs.
- Named by Best Lawyers in America® as “Lawyer of the Year: Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs” in Mobile, Alabama (2017, 2021)
- Martindale – Hubbell rating – AV® PreeminentTM 5.0/5.0 Peer Rating
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Inducted into the McGill-Toolen Catholic High School Hall of Fame in 2001 for athletic accomplishments
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers (2019 - 2020)
- President, Mobile Bar Association (2020)
- President, Alabama Chapter of American Board of Trial Advocates (2019)