Katherine CÃ¡rdenas began her career representing severely injured clients following her graduation from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 1996. After successfully trying numerous cases, she became a partner at Lucas & CÃ¡rdenas, located in Chicago, Illinois, in 2001. Her practice focuses on representing individuals and their families in complex and catastrophic personal injury and negligence cases, arising from medical malpractice, construction and other workplace accidents, nursing home negligence, failure to diagnose cancer, retained surgical sponges, premises liability, dental negligence, wrongful death, trucking and automobile collisions, birth injuries, amputation cases, and various other injury and negligence cases.
Within the firm, Ms. CÃ¡rdenas strives to serve clients with passion and preparedness. That approach has helped the firm obtain numerous verdicts and settlements for its clients in excess of $1 million dollars. In the summer of 2017, Ms. CÃ¡rdenas successfully concluded a multi-million dollar failure to diagnose cancer case against various Chicagoland Hospitals and doctors. In recognition of her successful track record and high ethical standards, Ms. CÃ¡rdenas was elected as a member of the merit based Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Her clients' needs are always first and foremost in her mind, as she fights tenaciously to achieve the highest monetary recovery for each and every one of them.
Ms. CÃ¡rdenas is an active member of several Illinois and national bar associations. She has been involved in investigating and interviewing applicants for the Illinois and Cook County Judiciary. Ms. CÃ¡rdenas lobbied Illinois Senators and State Representatives in Washington, D.C., on behalf of injured individuals to ensure their legal rights are protected.
Ms. CÃ¡rdenas is a member, and an invited presenter, of The National Trial Lawyers. Ms. CÃ¡rdenas has held the title of Top 100 Trial Lawyers from The National Trial Lawyers from 2012 to 2019, consecutively. Ms. CÃ¡rdenas takes pride in her work and is grateful to be given the opportunity to have represented so many courageous individuals who have survived debilitating injuries and life altering circumstances. Recently, Ms. Cardenas tenaciously represented and gave a voice to a deaf female that was sexually assaulted in a Chicagoland Hospital. Â Despite defense counselsâ€™ attempts to prolong long litigation and deny justice, Ms. Cardenas took the case to trial and after presenting her main expert witness, settled the case for a confidential amount allowing her client to be cared for the rest of her life in safety and comfort.
Ms. CÃ¡rdenas has represented individuals and their families in almost every type of personal injury and negligence case. It is her honor to represent you.
- Illinois, 1996 - Northern District of Illinois, 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) - Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) - American Association for Justice (AAJ) - Womenâ€™s Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI) - The National Trial Lawyers
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, May 1996 * Juris Doctorate - Indiana University, May 1992 * BS â€“ Business Administration
- 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 â€“ Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers - Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Association for Justice â€“ Navigating Discovery, Thatâ€™s Not My Expert!, January 2016
Speaking Engagements & Legal Presentations:
- Webinar Presenter â€“ â€œWhy you should present your case to a Focus Group,â€ The National Trial Lawyers, 2016 - Webinar Presenter â€“ â€œAbandoning an Expert Witness,â€ The National Trial Lawyers, 2015