Dustin B. Herman is a partner with Spangenberg Shibley & Liber in Cleveland, OH, where he concentrates his practice on pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, products liability, medical malpractice, catastrophic/brain injury cases, and trucking cases. Before moving to Ohio in 2015, Dustin practiced law in Florida with the Romano Law Group.
· 2013, Dustin was named as one of south FL’s “Most Effective Lawyers” by the Daily Business Review for his role in obtaining a $28.5 million verdict in a traumatic brain injury case (see full listing of case results below).
· 2014–2022, Dustin was selected as one of the National Trial Lawyers’ “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (for south Florida/Ohio)
· 2015, 2017-2022, Dustin was named as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers
· 2019, President of the National Trial Lawyers’ Top 40 Under 40
· 2021, Best Lawyers, Product Liability—Plaintiffs
· 2022, Best Lawyers, Product Liability—Plaintiffs; and Personal Injury—Plaintiffs
· April 2022, Dustin and Dennis Lansdowne obtained a $6.5 million verdict in a malpractice/wrongful death case.
Dustin is a Past-President of the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 (2019) and has been selected as one of the National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” from 2014-2022. In 2021 and 2022, Dustin was named to the Best Lawyers® list for Product Liability Litigation and he has been selected as a Super Lawyers’ Rising Star in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
Dustin speaks nationally on various legal topics, with a specific focus on Daubert issues and e-discovery. He co-authored a chapter in the 4th Edition of AAJ’s “Anatomy of a Personal Injury Lawsuit,” which was released in March 2015 by Trial Guides and AAJ.
Dustin currently serves on the Board for the Ohio Association for Justice and the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys. Dustin served as Co-Chair of AAJ’s Gas Drilling/Fracking Litigation Group from 2015-2016 and is currently serving as Co-Chair of AAJ’s Contaminated Eye-Injection Ligation Group.
Dustin has been or is currently representing clients in the following mass tort cases:
· MDL 2804, In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation (Law and Briefing Committee);
· MDL 2606, In re: Benicar (Olmesartan) Products Liability Litigation (Daubert Briefing Committee);
· Anti-Terrorism Litigation, 1:17-cv-08709, O’Sullivan, et al. v. Deutsche Bank AG, et al. (S.D.N.Y) and 1:17-cv-00915, Holladay, et al. v. The Islamic Republic of Iran (D.D.C.) (Co-Chair, Discovery Committee; Law and Briefing Committee);
· Silicone Contaminated Eye Injection Litigation, pending in state courts in Arizona, New York, and Florida (co-lead counsel);
· MDL 2545, In re Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation;
· In re: Stryker Rejuvenate and ABGII Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (one of the lead lawyers who litigated cases in Florida state courts);
· MDL 2331, In Re Propecia (Finasteride) Product Liability Litigation (Science Committee);
· MDL 2327, In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation;
· MDL 2299, In re: Actos (Pioglitazone) Products Liability Litigation;
· MDL 2244, In re: DePuy Orthopaedics Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation;
· MDL 2197, In re: DePuy Orthopaedics ASR Hip Implant Litigation; and
· MDL 2179, In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon.”
Dustin is a passionate supporter of local and national justice associations. He served on the Board of Directors for the Young Lawyers Division of the Florida Justice Association between 2014 and 2015 and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys. He is also a member of the Ohio Association for Justice, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, Florida Justice Association, and the American Association for Justice. Dustin served as Co-Chair of AAJ’s Gas Drilling/Fracking Litigation Group from 2014-2016 and currently serves as Co-Chair of AAJ’s Silicone Contaminated Eye-Injection Litigation Group.
Dustin received his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida. He received his law degree from Florida International University College of Law, where he was a member of the FIU Trial and Moot Court Teams. Dustin earned the Book Award in Evidence and multiple Dean’s List awards while in law school. In 2008, Dustin studied European Union law at Universidad de Sevilla and in 2009 he was given the opportunity to go to Florence, Italy where he studied International Criminal Law and other international policies concerning “Social Justice.”
Dustin and his wife, Dana, moved to Ohio from Delray Beach, FL in 2015. They live in Twinsburg, Ohio with their son, Dylan, and daughter, Ava.